Pages

My Highlighting Homies

Friday 22 May 2015




 So to kill the elephant in the room I've been away from blogging for just over a month...
I won't make an excuse or say I've fallen out of love with it..or had a break, I've just purely been busy.
But...
I'm now back and plan to post more often...we'll see how this works out.
So to start back I thought I'd ease myself in by talking about one of my favourite makeup products..Highlighters!!

I love highlighters because when you get it right it can make such a difference to your skin, make it glow or look more airbrushed than just foundation alone. But get it wrong and you can end up a shimmery hot ass mess that's similar to when I used to use glitter under my eyes at the school disco's. anyone else do that??

So I thought I would share my highlighting wonders of the highstreet.


First is possibly, in fact definitely not a cheap or reasonably priced product..but it is truly beautiful! It's the hourglass ambient lighting palette. This is a palette of three highlighters according to the website a 'trio of Hourglass' best-selling Ambient Lighting Powder collection containing two existing shades (Dim Light and Radiant Light) and one new limited edition shade (Incandescent Light)'. My thoughts are that in all honesty it is slightly too expensive for what you get, because at £56 I would expect this to be a miracle worker. However, considering the single ambient powders are £28, I think it's pretty reasonable. All the highlighters in this palette are so so good and make you glow rather than shimmer or shine, they also have they're individual uses. for example the dim light has more golden brown pigments which makes for a really nice bronzer that can really hollow out your cheek bones and in my opinion makes them stand out really well. Whereas, the other two are more for the tops of my cheeks or to use all over. I think if I wasn't so concerned with running out I would definitely use this everyday because of the beautiful glow it can add to your face. This is easily one of my favourites to use for special occasions as it can last all night and looks so nice!


Next is a new purchase of mine that is Dior's backstage light boosting primer 30ml. This is a liquid highlighting primer that you could use under your foundation, mix in with your foundation or use on top by patting into the area's on your face you want to highlight (how I use it). I was recommended this by the lady at the counter as a glowy alternative to the sadly discontinued amber diamond powder that dior did before. I'm so glad I gave this a go because it adds such a noticeable glow that lasts all day and is slightly shimmery, which is nice because it's still subtle. This lasts a long time and has multiple uses and ways to use it so overall this is a really good highlighting product that is worth the £29 price tag I think.


Next is a highlighter by bourjois. This is their very famous drugstore/highstreet/boots/superdrug (basically a lower end highlighter) but even though its at a lower price this does not mean it's any less good or of less quality. It comes in a really cute packaging that reminds me of a fairytale story book, and the actual product smells ind of like chocolate or vanilla, which I personally really like! even though I think some people who don't like fragranced makeup really wouldn't like :/. 


However, regardless of the smell etc I still think the actual product is so so nice for the price. As a pale skinned girl i have to be careful that any highlighter blends in with my skin and isn't a pigmented blush/highlighter or bronzer/highlighter that's going to make my skin look orangey or too pinky. So when I bought this I was aware of the bronzer side of this highlighter and did test that the bronzer wans't too orangey, because I thought it would be hard to use this compact without using the bronzer side as well. Luckily for me the combination of the two blends in seamlessly with my cheeks and it is actually quite easy with a small contour brush to just use the two separately.


Lastly is a liquid primer by L'Oreal paris lumi magique that I believe I have mentioned before. It's basically the cheaper version or the Dior light boosting primer or benefit high beam. I personally love and have used this highlighter a lot! again its a primer so can be used in many ways that I just see as liquid glow that you can add to your foundation or your tinted moisturiser or just use on it's own. The only slight issue I have with this product is that it doesn't last as long as the other more expensive brands but if you are looking for an alternative at £9.99 it's a pretty good option, especially when L'oreal have their 3 for 2 on makeup deals.

Thankyou for reading! I'd love to know if anyone has any favourite highlighters that they would suggest using?
Love Becky xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by | SweetElectric